We condemn the criminalisation of out-of-wedlock pregnancies within the Syariah Criminal Offences Enactment 2022 in Section 29A by the Terengganu State and other similar laws practised by other states in Malaysia. Please read our full statement below in English and Bahasa Melayu below. A shorter statement published by Ova Health – The Galen Centre can be found here.
We would like to invite civil society organisations, healthcare professionals, and individuals in support of our statement to add your signatures by filling in this form. We will be continually updating this page with signatories (please scroll down).
Full statement in English:
Kenyataan penuh dalam Bahasa Melayu:
- Dr Hannah Nazri, NIHR Academic Clinical Fellow in Obstetrics & Gynaecology at the University of Warwick
- Prof Dato’ Dr Adeeba Kamarulzaman, Professor of Medicine & Infectious Disease at Universiti Malaya
- Firzana Redzuan, Founding Director of Monsters Among Us
- Prof Tan Sri Dr Jemilah Mahmood, Pro-Chancellor of Heriot-Watt University Malaysia, Professor and Executive Director at Sunway Centre for Planetary Health, and Senior Fellow at the Adrienne-Arsht-Rockefeller Foundation Resilience Center
- Nurul Ezzaty Hasbullah
- Zafira Azih, Specialty Trainee in Psychiatry, North West Deaneary, UK